Role of the Duty Manager
The Duty Manager (DM) has overall responsibility for the security and running of the building during any performance. They also manage all aspects of a performance that are within the realms of the audience.
1. Opening the Bar
- The DM will brief the bar cover and fire steward members and setup the bar along with normal procedures
- Any specific requirements for the production will have been advised to the DM previously by the NVT Front of House Coordinator
- The DM will confirm with the Stage Manager any specific requirements for the production - doors open, preset cast or early opening of the house etc.
- The DM will ensure the Box Office is manned.
2. Opening the Doors
- The DM will confirm that all is ready with the bar, Box Office and Stage Manager before opening the doors.
- The DM will put out the 'A' board
- The DM will maintain liaison with the Box Office and update the Stage Manager on audience still to arrive from 15 minutes before the start time.
3. Opening the House
- The DM will liaise with the Stage Manager to get 'CLEARANCE' to open the house.
- The DM with agreement of Box Office and Stage Manager, will open the house and make the announcement to the audience.
4. Starting the Performance
- The DM will ensure the 'A' board is brought back in, the front door is shut and bell switched off.
- The DM will decide - in agreement with the Stage Manager - to start the performance even if some audience has not arrived no later than 5 minutes after the scheduled start time.
- The DM will ensure all audience members are in the auditorium - and confirm the number with the Fire Steward - before giving 'CLEARANCE' to the Stage Manager to start the performance.
- The DM will liaise with the Stage Manager on the duration of the interval.
- The Stage Manager will give the DM 'CLEARANCE' to send the audience back into the auditorium.
- The DM will give the announcement, check all audience members are in the auditorium - and confirm the number with the Fire Steward - before giving the Stage Manager 'CLEARANCE' to re-start the performance.
6. End of the Performance
- The DM continue to manage the building and its security until the bar is closed, building is clear and locked for the evening.
7. In the Event of an Emergency
- In the event of the fire alarms sounding The DM will implement the Fire Alarm Procedure.
- Any decision to evacuate the building will be taken by the FoH Manager.
- If a member of the audience is taken ill, the DM will liaise with the Fire Steward and Stage Manager. Assistance will be provided to the audience member and the performance will be stopped if it is necessary to do so.